The city kids escaped the man-made city single-tracks and got to experience some farm-style racing terrain. Hoërskool Bekker hosted the Spur Tour de Plaas where 664 high school mountain bikers from Gauteng schools participated. The growth at Bekker since 2013, when Gauteng and North West still raced together in one series, has increase by 117 participants!
Bekker will also be the host of the Spur High School MTB League National Finals – this gave riders, especially those new in the Series, the perfect opportunity to taste what Bekker has to offer at the finals.
The day kicked off on a very cold morning, the friendly Bekker staff had their hands full with eager young mountain bikers and parents waiting for their coffee fix – we teach them well. Schools set up their gazebos and some had what looked like an entire buffet table- food to feed an army! Midstream College even had sponsored Mugg & Bean muffins – how lucky are they! Hoerskool Monument impressed everyone with their ever growing team and little flower garden at their gazebo…..yes a garden! We love the spirit.
The team managers meeting was a great opportunity for all riders to pay their respect to Gugu Zulu with a moment of silence – Gugu was actively involved with the Diepsloot MTB Academy. We also welcomed back Deon Steyn after his heart attack the day before Spur Tour de Vaal in May. Deon once again pointed out the importance of working together to grow the sport amongst schools and that the focus should stay on the development of our future Olympic talents.
Racing began with the Sub Junior Boys where MIGUEL MOUTINHO from Midstream College pulled away with a 54 second lead over CHRISTIAAN KLOPPER from Waterkloof HS. FRANCOIS BOTHA from Randburg HS came in 3rd. In the Sub Junior Girls race Jade Slabbert managed her first Spur High School mtb win and was in tears as she crossed the line, her school team manager Malcolm was thrilled with the win as Midstream College cleaned up the Sub Junior category. KAYLIN GOMBOS and NATALIE LONG both from Transvalia HS rounded up the top 3.
Youth 15 boys race was won by current Series leader, Hennie Van Wyk from Garsfontein HS. DJ KRUGER from Transvalia HS and MATTHIAM HOFMANN from Waterkloof were left to sprint it out amongst each other , DJ took 2nd place leaving Matthiam with 3rd place. Monique du Toit from Menlopark HS took her second win of the Gauteng Series and extended her overall Youth 15 category lead. ROBIN STEWARTfrom Waterkloof HS came in 2nd and NIKOLA VON STADEN from Helpmekaar Kollege was 3rd.
In the Youth 16 girls race Midstream College brought home their third win for the day as well as their third leaders jersey in the form of Thana Groenewald who amazed everyone by beating the lap times of the top junior women. In 2nd was AZULDE BRITZ from Cornwall Hill College and RIMARI SUTTON from Garsfontein in 3rd.
JP Lloyd from Zwartkop HS took the win in the Youth 16 boys category, he also received the leaders jersey – this is his first time wearing the leaders jersey since he started participating in the series as a Sub Junior.
The Junior Mens race got underway without the current Junior leader, Wessel Botha from Melopark HS, who could not race due to illness. The battle was on for leaders jersey as Henry Liebenberg also from Menlopark HS was next in line to take it…..all he needed was to win this race. A group of three riders broke away and lead the race for the first 2 laps, this group consisted of Marc Pritzen from Kempton HS, Jason Abbot from Woodhill College and Henry Liebenberg. As the riders had to come in for lap 3 we saw Henry had broke away from the leading bunch and now he was leading by a few seconds. Henry managed to hold that lead to take the win as well as overall lead in the series. Marc Pritzen was 2nd and Jason Abbot in 3rd.
Saffron Vosloo from Menlopark led from lap 1 as she opened a gap over Lynette Benson from Waterkloof HS. She managed to hold that lead during all three laps to take the win and holds on to her Junior Womens leaders Jersey.
Spur Gauteng Leaders after Tour de Plaas
- Junior Men: Henry Liebenberg – Menloparks HS
- Junior Women: Saffron Vosloo – Menloparks HS
- Youth 16 Boys: JP Lloyd – Zwartkop HS
- Youth 16 Girls: Thana Groenewald – Midstream College
- Youth 15 Boys: Hennie Van Wyk – Garsfontein HS
- Youth 15 Girls: Monique Du Toit – Menlopark HS
- Sub Junior Boys: Miguel Moutihno – Midstream College
- Sub Junior Girls: Jade Slabbert – Midstream College
Top 5 schools:
1. Menlopark HS – 242 points
2. Afrikaans Hoër Seunsskool – 234 points
3. Midstream College – 207 points
4. Waterkloof HS – 192 points
5. Transvalia HS – 168 points
Results – click here
Photos – click here
Sponsors and Partners
- Spur Steak Ranches – The ones that make this all possible! We thank you and the kids thank you.
- Anatomic Sportswear – Organising and sponsors of leaders jerseys
- 32Gi – Nutritional partner
- Cycle Lab – Bike Servicing Station and R10 000 Fuji bike prize at each event
- CycleSure – Bike and accessories insurance for all participants
- Mud Buster – Assisted bike wash service – teaching kids the importance of washing and maintaining their bikes after a race.
- ER24 – Impressive support along the route. Having a paramedic cycle behind the riders fully equipped to assist them incase of an emergency as well as a medic on a quad bike. Thanks to the ER24 team!
- Hoërskool Bekker – Dit is altyd Lekker by Bekker!